Thursday 1 October 2009

The Soundtrack To My Mission

Aside from listening to the regular calls to prayer, I keep my ears pricked for sounds of danger, especially when on the field. Explosions can't be the prettiest of noises, and I already know that gun shots aren't. However, music really does come to my ears late at night when, after inspecting my mosquito net for any unwlecome buzzing guests, I get into bed, turn out the lights and listen.

An array of tunes, tweets and songs can be heard. I don't know what insects and birds are out there beyond my windowpane - they certainly don't exist in my home country, but together their choir produces a veritable melody. In the dark when I can't sleep I try to pick out the different calls one by one as they chant to each other. It is one of the calmest moments of my day, and I relish it quietly.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Em, hope you are ok, I keep listening to the News and thinking of you. I know I only said that I thought you were nuts at your leaving parety, I must have forgotten to mention amazing, stoic and gob stoppingly brave. Chin up

    Caroline xx

    ReplyDelete