Sunday 11 October 2009

The Shalwar Kameez

Almost all women in Pakistan, including us expatriates, wear the Shalwar Kameez daily. Consisting of a tunic dress worn over baggy trousers, it is complimented by a long shawl-type scarf that can be draped over the upper body in a variety of fashions. (Photos to follow shortly, I promise).
It is quite a pretty garment, despite being designed to conceal our feminine curves and can come adorned with all sorts of beads and decorative embellishments. It has the added benefit of being comfortable and I do not have any problems wearing it…

…Aside from the technical problems it can cause. The scarf, usually several metres long, can be quite a tricky obstacle to manoeuvre in and I find myself constantly flicking it back over my shoulder or head from where it has slipped. I have had to learn how to perform a range of daily functions while wearing it. Not only have I almost strangled myself by getting it caught underneath the wheeled chair at my desk, or trapping it in the door of a moving car, it also very easy to trip over just while walking. Not to mention the challenge of avoiding dipping it in the toilet bowl every day!

2 comments:

  1. I have a mental image of you getting off the loo shouting expletives at the toilet bowl - so funny, I know I have done it on a number of ocassions with belts etc
    MuM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure you look ravishing darling.
    Lowri

    ReplyDelete