Friday 23 October 2009

No Arms

We don't get out much in Pakistan. So when I was invited to a random party last Friday I jumped at the chance to make some new friends. Our group was the first to arrive and we were welcomed and shown to the terrace. Imagine my shock when I spotted a large gun on the table! I asked that it be put away and the host casually picked it up, pointed it at me, then told me it was a fake. Hence the photo. First I am standing in front of the no arms sticker at our Peshawar office, now look what I have become! In fact the gun was bought from the bazaar. I have been told that in the smuggler's bazaar in Peshawar it is possible to pick up anything. Authentic military informs, weapons, bomb recipes, and all kinds of drugs. I have even heard rumours that if you buy enough opium in bulk, you receive a free Kalashnikov. In any case, you would probably need one carrying that much dope, that is if you didn't have one already.

Evidently it is forbidden for us to visit the bazaars...

2 comments:

  1. Forget the sticker, you have the right to bare arms.

    Melancholy Sniper.

    ReplyDelete