Monday 12 October 2009

A Belated Eid Mubarak

I have to say that what has most impressed me about the Pakistanis, is their devotion to Islam.

I arrived during the period of Ramadan (or Ramazan as we say here) when our national employees were fasting during the hours of sunlight. Neither water nor food passed their lips during the entire day, they continued to plod along in their work without complaint in heat of up to 40°C. I would hear them rising at 4am to feed under the moonlight and regularly see them heads bowed in prayer, sometimes in the most peculiar of circumstances - on the side of the motorway or guards facing east during their break at a checkpoint.

I tried myself to fast for one day. I allowed myself sweet chai and water so effectively I was cheating, and it was still difficult! Admittedly tempers began to fray towards the end of the period, as everyone looked up optimistically for sightings of the moon in order to break the fast, but the strength of their belief must be incredible to endure such a test for a whole month. I have enormous respect for anyone who can manage this based solely on their love for Allah.

2 comments:

  1. And a happy diwali. It is on the 17th.
    Help yourself to some Gulab Jamun.

    Melancholy Sniper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a sniff of Diwali here unfortunately. On a lighter note, Eid al-Adha is coming up soon so there may be lights in the streets to celebrate the tradition of goat slaying.

    ReplyDelete