Tuesday 3 November 2009

The Sugar Crisis

The subject on the tip of everyone tongues is the sugar crisis. When I arrived during Ramazan the government had capped the price per kilo at forty rupees. Since then the rate has risen to over one hundred in certain areas and the locals are fuming. Queues for those who can afford it wrap round the bazaars, while the poorer families have no choice but to accept a brown sweetener substitute. Sugar supplies in the office now have to be kept under lock and key as the temptation encourages sticky fingers.

Us foreigners can, of course, purchase the real thing without great difficulty. But I for one could do with a little less sugar. All day long I sip sweet milky chai. And in the evenings with little else to do I take to gorging on the delights of my cook; heavy but delicious dishes laden with ghee and rich in oil. Meat and carbohydrates may be similar to a typical Welsh diet but when combined with not being allowed to walk anywhere it mean I might return somewhat plumper!

No comments:

Post a Comment