Monday 9 November 2009

Kept Behind Curtains

Being a woman in Pakistan is not as easy as it looks. Their role in society differs greatly to how us girls run the show in Europe. Many members of our staff have had to quit working due to family pressures; outside of Islamabad most ladies keep themselves covered up; and to be seen with any other man aside from their husband can be considered extremely controversial. I am not allowed to walk to my office on my own whereas men are. In NWFP we are not supposed to sit next to men in the car. The famous “bise” (the French alternative to shaking hands – greeting by kissing both cheeks) is absolutely forbidden amongst expatriates of different sexes in the presence of locals.

Today I went to a restaurant, with a female friend of course, and chose my own table. Shortly after a family including women walked in and they were immediately ushered into a booth hidden behind a curtain safe from prying eyes. Privacy for wives is so sacred here and I respect their choice but I cannot imagine what it must feel like to be kept behind curtains like that.
Me, complete with my own central heating, sitting on the wrong side of the curtain. I hope I haven't offended the local population too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment