Thursday 10 September 2009

From Riches To Rags

As you may or may not know (if anyone is actually reading this) I recently decided to throw in my capitalistic towel and opt for a more self-fulfilling job in the humanitarian sector. Actually, the story doesn't go quite like that, it was rather my former employer who abandoned me and my excessive salary in the face of the global recession.

But those who know me well will testify that I have always harboured designs to pursue a more meaningful career path in aid work. In fact I was recruited by Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) almost two years ago but wasn't quite ready then to take the plunge.

I blame my Catholic upbringing; all those God-fearing years in high school raising money for CAFOD. And so I have stopped serving the fat cats in the London rat race and am now working for a politically neutral, non-profit medical organisation based out of Islamabad, Pakistan. When I signed the contract, there were admittedly some zeros missing from the annual salary figure, I doubt I will even reach the lowest income tax bracket! But I am hoping the gains over the next twelve months will be worth much more. Not only is it for a worthy cause, but it will be the ultimate test in endurance and self learning. In the absence of photos, these entries document a personal account of my experiences out in Pakistan. Here I go...!

No comments:

Post a Comment