Wednesday 16 September 2009

Je voudrais que quelqu'un m'attende quelque part

The first book that I ever read in French was a collection of short stories, one of them described a character who always hoped that someone was waiting for them whenever they arrived somewhere new. I travel through airports and stations a lot, and often alone. For each new arrival I too have a hope that someone will be waiting there for me. Preferably a loved one, but if not, a card held out by a stranger with my name scrawled on it will do. It took me a while to find my driver at the airport in Islamabad, but I was glad to have somebody expecting me this time.
Well, I have arrived safely in Pakistan and now I am wondering what I was worrying about. Although behind the scenes there may be some danger, there doesn't seem to be any discomfort for now, in fact it looks like quite a nice place!

No comments:

Post a Comment